Star Mountain is a rapidly growing lower middle-market (“LMM”) investment management firm with three complimentary strategies, private credit, private equity and secondary fund investing all focused within North America. These complimentary investment strategies provide compelling career opportunities and competitive investment advantages. Culture is a core principal which includes long-term alignment of interest with 100% of employees participating in carried interest. The Firm has ~$3 billion in AUM and expects strong continued growth based on its performance, distinctive investment approach and its diversified investor base. Star Mountain values team players with positive, solutions-based attitudes complemented by a strong work ethic and is heavily committed to long-term training and career development. Firm is 100% employee-owned with material long-term wealth creation opportunity for long-term, entrepreneurial professionals. Dynamic team of over 50 full-time people and 40+ Senior Advisors / Operating Partners.
Chairman, Brian Finn, is the former Co-President of Credit Suisse First Boston and Global Head of ~$100 billion AUM investment business. Other executives include former heads of Merrill Lynch leveraged finance and private equity businesses and executives trained at Blackstone, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Citigroup and Barings.
For the last three consecutive years, Star Mountain was recognized as one of the Best Places to Work by both Crain’s and Pensions & Investments.
Star Mountain’s dynamic, team and client / customer-centric culture includes 100% of its employees sharing in the investment profits. Star Mountain has maintained an average growth rate of over 50% per year for many years and anticipates a similar trajectory as a leading, specialized private investment firm.
- Liaise with outside fund administrators to prepare accurate and timely deliverables related to the NAV process including financial statements, capital account statements, capital call and distribution notices, management fee and carried interest calculations and all other investor reporting.
- Work directly with and prepare financial analysis and reporting for Star Mountain CFO, Controller and other executives across Star Mountain funds and relating to financial matters.
- Assist audit and tax professionals in year end audit and tax reporting.
- Support treasury and liquidity management functions (oversee cash position for funds and forecast cash requirements).
- Manage capacity on the funds’ credit lines as well as borrowing base compliance/covenants.
- Manage the expense process, including vendor management, invoice processing and compliance with firm policies.
- Performance measurement, including calculation of IRRs, investment multiples and various time weighted returns.
- Assist in preparation of regular investor reports and quarterly investment letters.
- Identify and implement process improvements with regards to efficiency and ensuring that strong internal controls and quality control are maintained.
- Review and interpret partnership agreements, private placement memorandums, and other legal documents.
- Assist with various portfolio monitoring of investments.
- Good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)
- Working towards undergraduate degree studying Accounting
- Positive attitude.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Detail oriented.
- Sense of ownership and pride in work, firm and culture.
- Quick learner.
- Highly personable and work well in a team environment.
- Requirements also include prioritizing, managing various deadlines in a fast-paced entrepreneurial work environment.
- GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Ideally experience with some type of asset management or investment firm.
- Seeking Interns that can work on a part-time basis (~15 hours a week) during the school year and full-time during the summer.
Location: Interns may be remote during school year and are expected to be able to be full-time during Summer in either NYC or Tampa, Florida.
Start Date: Summer and Fall 2022
Apply: Please click on the "Apply" button below. Please note that applications received without a targeted cover letter will not be considered.
Please visit the following links for more information about Star Mountain, the Star Mountain Charitable Foundation, Star Mountain’s Crain’s and Pensions & Investments awards, and to visit our YouTube channel.
Investing in the Growth Engine of America ®
Note: Detailed award eligibility requirements for Crain’s can be found here and for Pensions & Investments here.