Star Mountain is a rapidly growing lower middle-market (“LMM”) investment management firm with three complimentary strategies, private credit, private equity and secondary fund investing all focused within North America. These complimentary investment strategies provide compelling career opportunities and competitive investment advantages. Culture is a core principal which includes long-term alignment of interest with 100% of employees participating in carried interest. The Firm has ~$3 billion in AUM and expects strong continued growth based on its performance, distinctive investment approach and its diversified investor base. Star Mountain values team players with positive, solutions-based attitudes complemented by a strong work ethic and is heavily committed to long-term training and career development. Firm is 100% employee-owned with material long-term wealth creation opportunity for long-term, entrepreneurial professionals. Dynamic team of over 50 full-time people and 40+ Senior Advisors / Operating Partners.
Chairman, Brian Finn, is the former Co-President of Credit Suisse First Boston and Global Head of ~$100 billion AUM investment business. Other executives include former heads of Merrill Lynch leveraged finance and private equity businesses and executives trained at Blackstone, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Citigroup and Barings.
For the last three consecutive years, Star Mountain was recognized as one of the Best Places to Work by both Crain’s and Pensions & Investments.
Star Mountain’s dynamic, team and client / customer-centric culture includes 100% of its employees sharing in the investment profits. Star Mountain has maintained an average growth rate of over 50% per year for many years and anticipates a similar trajectory as a leading, specialized private investment firm.
Star Mountain is seeking a driven, highly energetic Fund Accountant to join a fast growing, entrepreneurial asset management firm. The Fund Accountant will focus on Star Mountain’s financial controls, fund accounting and investor reporting across multiple fund structures and relating to direct debt / equity investments and fund investments (including secondaries). Opportunity to interact directly with senior management, business owners and other leading private fund managers.
- Liaise with outside fund administrators to prepare accurate and timely deliverables related to the NAV process including financial statements, capital account statements, capital call and distribution notices, management fee and carried interest calculations and all other investor reporting
- Work directly with and prepare financial analysis and reporting for Star Mountain CFO, Controller and other executives across Star Mountain funds and relating to financial matters
- Support the overall portfolio valuation process
- Assist audit and tax professionals in year-end audit and tax reporting
- Support treasury and liquidity management functions (oversee cash position for funds and forecast cash requirements)
- Manage capacity on the funds’ credit lines as well as borrowing base compliance/covenants
- Manage the expense process, including vendor management, invoice processing and compliance with firm policies
- Performance measurement, including calculation of IRRs, investment multiples and various time-weighted returns
- Assist in preparation of regular investor reports and quarterly investment letters
- Identify and implement process improvements with regards to efficiency and ensuring that strong internal controls and quality control are maintained
- Review and interpret partnership agreements, private placement memorandums, and other legal documents
- Assist with various portfolio monitoring of investments, including contract compliance
- Assists with the overall investor onboarding process including the investor portal and investor correspondence
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or similar study
- CPA preferred
- Must have 2-5 years of experience in private equity / credit fund accounting (including working at a fund administrator)
- Excited to work hard in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment building a unique organization
- Loan experience including working with credit funds, Business Development Companies (BDC) and/or SBICs fund experience a plus
- Proven knowledge of partnership accounting, US GAAP and financial reporting
- Audit/controls mindset with desire to implement process improvement opportunities at a growing and entrepreneurial firm
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills; experience building complex financial models and presentations
- Demonstrated team player; self-starter; independent thinker; ability to work autonomously
- Strong interpersonal skills with capacity to interact with outside parties and personnel across all levels of the firm
- Tax structuring knowledge a plus
- Ability to analyze investment and fund legal documents
- Positive culture and attitude along with top quality execution required
- Must have strong references available (at the appropriate time) from peers, subordinates and superiors
Location: Based in Tampa, FL. Flexible work environment which may vary depending on the candidate.
Compensation: Base, bonus and equity package within a heavily aligned organizational culture.
Apply: Please apply through LinkedIn.
Please visit the following links for more information about Star Mountain, the Star Mountain Charitable Foundation, Star Mountain’s Crain’s and Pensions & Investments awards, and to visit our YouTube channel.
Investing in the Growth Engine of America ®
Note: Detailed award eligibility requirements for Crain’s can be found here and for Pensions & Investments here.