Star Mountain is a rapidly growing lower middle-market (“LMM”) investment management firm with three complimentary strategies, private credit, private equity and secondary fund investing all focused within North America. These complimentary investment strategies provide compelling career opportunities and competitive investment advantages. Culture is a core principal which includes long-term alignment of interest with 100% of employees participating in carried interest. The Firm has ~$3 billion in AUM and expects strong continued growth based on its performance, distinctive investment approach and its diversified investor base. Star Mountain values team players with positive, solutions-based attitudes complemented by a strong work ethic and is heavily committed to long-term training and career development. Firm is 100% employee-owned with material long-term wealth creation opportunity for long-term, entrepreneurial professionals. Dynamic team of over 50 full-time people and 40+ Senior Advisors / Operating Partners.
Chairman, Brian Finn, is the former Co-President of Credit Suisse First Boston and Global Head of ~$100 billion AUM investment business. Other executives include former heads of Merrill Lynch leveraged finance and private equity businesses and executives trained at Blackstone, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Citigroup and Barings.
For the last three consecutive years, Star Mountain was recognized as one of the Best Places to Work by both Crain’s and Pensions & Investments.
Star Mountain’s dynamic, team and client / customer-centric culture includes 100% of its employees sharing in the investment profits. Star Mountain has maintained an average growth rate of over 50% per year for many years and anticipates a similar trajectory as a leading, specialized private investment firm.
- Primarily, analyze and execute private credit investment opportunities (senior and subordinated debt often with preferred or common equity co-investments) to U.S. based businesses with between $5 and $30 million in EBITDA.
- Secondarily, assist with analyzing purchases of portfolios of credit and equity investments in U.S. lower middle-market funds (secondary fund investments).
- Prepare detailed investment committee memoranda and ensure financial model quality control
- Participate in the on-going active management and monitoring of portfolio companies
- Add value to other aspects of the overall business as an aligned partner assisting in building a leading U.S. LMM asset management business.
- Assist with investor follow-up requests and information relating to portfolio companies, performance, etc.
- Assist with junior team training and development including Star Mountain’s year-round internship program.
- A Bachelor’s degree, ideally in finance and / or accounting
- 6-9 years of total experience with an emphasis on principal investment activities in U.S. private businesses
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High attention to detail and ability to take on material responsibility and accountability
- Must have strong references available (at the appropriate time) from peers, subordinates and superiors
- Team player with a positive attitude and great people skills
- Willingness to travel nationwide as needed for new investment due diligence and portfolio company board meetings
Location: Based in Tampa, FL or New York City. Flexible work environment which may vary depending on the candidate.
Compensation: Base, bonus, and equity package within a heavily aligned organizational culture.
Please submit resume through LinkedIn.
Please visit the following links for more information about Star Mountain, the Star Mountain Charitable Foundation, Star Mountain’s Crain’s and Pensions & Investments awards, and to visit our YouTube channel.
Investing in the Growth Engine of America ®
Note: Detailed award eligibility requirements for Crain’s can be found here and for Pensions & Investments here.